Outline less, but remember the information better. The essence sketchnoting and why he was born out of frustration, learn from illustrated manuals Mike roadie “Visual notes”.
“I was extremely satisfied with the records that are made during various conferences and meetings, says the Illustrator of Rework, the author of The blog Sketchnote Army Mike roadie. − Irritability and stress only grew, when I tried to catch every detail of the conversation and put it into Notepad. Then these entries I never went back”.
In such conditions, the sketch (note that combined figure and text) has proved to be extremely simple and intuitive way of information reproduction and the expression of your own thoughts and ideas.
The basis sketchnoting (from the English. scetch – sketch, sketch and note – to record, to notice) is the so-called theory of dual coding. Due to the fact that the brain processes ideas in verbal and visual modes simultaneously using vision and hearing, the information is remembered easier and safer.
The role of active listening
Sketchnoting begins with the development of listening, because the sketches are created in real time when you listen to a lecture, speech, presentation, or participate in the meeting. In order to create high-quality visual note, it is very important to listen carefully to the speaker, to understand his ideas.
Active listening focuses on the speaker, abstracting from everything that can distract, and full immersion in it. Your goal is not to pay attention to unimportant details and concentrate on the main theses, to be able to turn them into words and pictures.
Over time I’ve learned to hold ideas in the “clipboard” of my mind is the place where I keep the previous idea at the time, when you listen to the following. Sometimes I use “cache” along with ideas recorded on paper, to trace the connection between them and recreate a coherent picture.
Sketchnoting – not the pursuit of art
Even if you are not able to draw a straight line, you can learn to make visual notes, need only practice.
Sketches is a kind of visual map, built on the important thoughts, which the brain collects and hides during interviews, meetings, trips and the like. That is the essence of sketchnoting lies not in the ability to beautifully and accurately draw a certain object, and the ability to transfer to paper, to record and communicate important information.
Good structure of the sketch is meat, and beauty image – only sauce.
How to create a sketch?
Models or sketches of the most popular ways of arranging information in sketches, which will help quickly develop the skills sketchnoting:
- Linear model: the sketch displays the information on a diagonal from upper left to lower right corner of the pages (like printed books). However, media clearly structured and similar stories. She easily perceived by the reader.
- Promenada model: the sketch resembles a Bicycle wheel with the “hub” in the middle and spokes coming from it. In the radial center of the sketch can be a name, a portrait of the speaker or the main theme. “Bush” can be asymmetric, it will give naturalness. However, such a sketch is sometimes difficult to understand because the information is organized is difficult and not linear.
- Vertical model: the linear sketch similar, the information is fed by a single flow from top to bottom, accessible and understandable to the reader.
- Traktorna model: sketch creates a unique way for the information vertically, horizontally, or diagonally. Such a model can be represented by a zigzag, an s-shaped path, a w-shaped path or any other. Convenient for the image of the thinking process or event in its step-by-step sequence.
- Modular model: a sketch divides the space on the page into separate parts or modules. Each module contains separate information or demonstrates the ideas of different people.
- Model skyscrapers: such modular, but for this model, the sketch divides the page to a series of long vertical panels that contain different information. This model is ideal for round tables, during which people talk at different times. To create a skyscraper, draw a vertical column for each speaker and add on top of his name or portrait. Then enter important comments of each participant to the corresponding column.
- Model popcorn: allows you to place information in a random order. The topic and speaker’s name may be on the page. This model is focusing more attention on fixing details, and not in its place. However, random placement of information may hinder the perception of the sketch.
Photo: the social network.